nightmares of 9/11, and the positive memories that came to me


It was 2pm UK time on the 11th September 2001. I was visiting an elderly lady who had at some point suffered from a stroke which had affected her speech and her mobility. As such it was agreed that when visiting her I should knock on the door and  walk in.

As I walked in I was met with a lady visibly distressed as she watched her television. I wondered if this was the emotional reaction to a film, looking into the screen and seeing the horrific scenes of what is now known as 9/11. I could not understand. "Is this a film?" I asked

"No, no film" she said. It was real, I began to realise as a second plane flew into the Twin Towers resulting in  many deaths and even more nightmares for so many families in New York. Is there anyone who was of an age to see these scenes who could not recount where they were at this time and date. For 20 years the shadow of this horror has been held over so many of us. This past weekend the media has opened it all up once more as it recalls 9/11 in the context of the withdrawal from Afghanistan. Can there ever be hope?

Brian Clark tells of his experience on the 84th floor of the Twin Towers on the day tragedy struck. He made his way down one floor at a time till eventually he became a survivor. In the days that lay ahead many families made contact with him as he sought to find ways to comfort them in their grief. In some ways answering those calls was more traumatic than the shudder of his building hit by aircraft, but each time he looked for help and strength with his faith.

In my own experience I have seen tragedy in so much of the world. I have sat with friends in Singapore who could still remember the scars of the invasion of their land by the Japanese on that most celebrated of days, the Chinese New Year in 1942. Many of these friends spoke of miracles that happened for them.

I can recall as a teenager living in Aden (South Yemen) during a period of extreme terrorism and the British evacuation. The time of sitting in an open air cinema as the tracers of gun fire were seen above us going in both directions. I recall my sister returning home injured from a grenade incident. Tragedy can strike, but I remember even more the hope as soldiers arrived at our door with the message "You have half an hour to get ready to leave the country. Often the humanitarian aspect of the life of a soldier is forgotten.

I could recall being in Cyprus in 1974 during the Military coup and the Turkish invasion/intervention. I was geographically separated from my wife, Joan, with no way initially of reaching her 16 miles away. Yet the time came when we met up once more, soon to be carrying her in a convoy of cars heading for Akrotiri, and the opportunity for to fly off in what became known as "The Stork Special".

I have seen enough to know that through out life risks will always abound in one form or another. But for me my faith has discovered that there is also hope discovered in the Christ who promised I will never leave you nor forsake you.

In the midst of trials, where is your hope?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

https://about.me/Jonmagee.author.minister

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxdghslFLULGCblekWCQ4pg/videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November, the month of remembrance

Happy New Year?

Holocaust Memorial